Property Licensing

Did you know there are now 30 different property licensing schemes? In some areas, you only need a licence for larger Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) whilst in other areas licensing has been extended to all house and flat shares occupied by 3 or more people. Some councils have extended licensing to all private rented homes occupied by a single family. No wonder people get confused.

Failing to have the correct licence for your property can lead to criminal prosecution and a hefty fine, a civil penalty of up to £30,000, an order to repay up to 12 months rent and the inability to evict your tenants using a Section 21 Notice of Seeking Possession. It can all seem a bit daunting.

Our property licence application service

We are experts when it comes to property licensing and our service is available throughout the London & Torbay area.

We start by discussing the basics to assess what type of licence you need. We ask you for certain information required to complete the application and then arrange a convenient date to visit your property and carry out an inspection. Our service involves more than simply completing the application form. The inspection is carried out by an independent Environmental Health Officer and we will highlight any compliance issues for you to consider. We provide simple, impartial and expert advice to help you understand and comply with the law.

If you do not have a measured floorplan (essential to accompany most applications), we can prepare one for you for an extra fee. If your property is an HMO, we will provide a fire safety notice for you to display in the property.

We then prepare the licence application together with the notifications forms that must be sent to everyone with an interest in the property. Once the application is ready, we let you know the council’s licence application fee and highlight any discounts available. The application is then ready to be submitted.

Our service doesn’t stop there. You can contact us for advice by email or telephone throughout the application process, including any questions you have about the draft licence when it is issued. The council will give you at least 14 days to comment on the draft licence before it is finalised. If necessary, we can prepare a formal written representation on your behalf as an extra service. Contact Us

Receive up to the minute property updates

Stay up-to-date with housing news and offers

Our newsletter keeps you in the know.